I had a good friend in college who said, "You are either a Beatles fan, or an Elvis fan.
But, never both." Growing up, both of my parents always listened to Elvis.
And because of that, I'm an Elvis fan.
Both of my parents were huge Elvis fans, and I know they went to at least one concert in their day. My dad, the biggest fan, has even gone to extremes in his life and owns a life-size cardboard version of the man which stands tall at the top of his staircase.
Creative... yes.
Cool.... yes.
Creepy... especially when you get up to get water in the middle of the night.
But, never both." Growing up, both of my parents always listened to Elvis.
And because of that, I'm an Elvis fan.
Both of my parents were huge Elvis fans, and I know they went to at least one concert in their day. My dad, the biggest fan, has even gone to extremes in his life and owns a life-size cardboard version of the man which stands tall at the top of his staircase.
Creative... yes.
Cool.... yes.
Creepy... especially when you get up to get water in the middle of the night.
He has an Elvis nightlight, an Elvis Christmas tree, even an Elvis board game.
But nonetheless, one of my childhood memories includes me sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's old 1950's Chevy truck and pretending I was going on vacation. I was always going on vacation, and mostly to Florida. Cute when you're 5... lame when you're 25. But nonetheless, Dad had the coolest old black and white picture of Elvis that he took when they were at said concert, and it was somehow taped to the ceiling of the truck right above the driver seat. And I always thought that was so cool...
My opinion these days of Elvis is the same as my opinion of Michael Jackson. Had they been able to live a little bit longer, there is no limit to the things they might have accomplished. However, I often wonder if it was their untimely death that made them as famous as they are today. Don't get me wrong, both of them were musical genuises and famous rightfully so.
But, I don't know... I would just really love to see what they would be doing now. And I would be interested to see what Elvis would look like, because I do think he was quite handsome in his day.
As for my love of Elvis these days, I do own some of his albums and I would listen to him if I heard him on the radio. I might even turn the volume up.
Especially if I heard this song... which is one of my personal favorites.
What about you, Beatles or Elvis?
But nonetheless, one of my childhood memories includes me sitting in the passenger seat of my dad's old 1950's Chevy truck and pretending I was going on vacation. I was always going on vacation, and mostly to Florida. Cute when you're 5... lame when you're 25. But nonetheless, Dad had the coolest old black and white picture of Elvis that he took when they were at said concert, and it was somehow taped to the ceiling of the truck right above the driver seat. And I always thought that was so cool...
My opinion these days of Elvis is the same as my opinion of Michael Jackson. Had they been able to live a little bit longer, there is no limit to the things they might have accomplished. However, I often wonder if it was their untimely death that made them as famous as they are today. Don't get me wrong, both of them were musical genuises and famous rightfully so.
But, I don't know... I would just really love to see what they would be doing now. And I would be interested to see what Elvis would look like, because I do think he was quite handsome in his day.
As for my love of Elvis these days, I do own some of his albums and I would listen to him if I heard him on the radio. I might even turn the volume up.
Especially if I heard this song... which is one of my personal favorites.
What about you, Beatles or Elvis?

No comments:
Post a Comment