I've taken this opportunity to put my thoughts into words, and my words into music...
consider it my song of the day!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The end of an era...











Last night marked the end of an era for Atlanta Braves fans... So today, I invite you to partake in the Tomahawk Chop- the music of my mind this beautiful Tuesday morning.

After 29 years of service, Braves manager Bobby Cox gave a final farewell last night to a cheering crowd of fans, with chanting, clapping, and an entire Giants team forgoing their own celebration to respectfully acknowledge his work. I heard a recording of this event on the radio, and it was indeed music to my ears.

I'm not a Braves fan, not because I dislike them or don't like baseball; it just has never been my sport of choice. I played softball for a long period of time, but after years of competition and stress, I decided I would rather be a band nerd. Thank goodness this isn't a softball blog.
As for the Braves, there has been talk all over the radio and television about their season; they're good, they're bad, so-and-so screwed it up, he had 5 or 6 errors, blah- blah- blah. It really didn't interest me that much...

But this morning when they discussed it on the radio, I heard the cheers, the claps, and the chanting and I had this rush of pride flow over me as if I was actually a Braves fan. Now, I am sentimental and can get very emotional over very silly things, but the Braves?! But I realized after much thought that it wasn't the Braves that choked me up, but the pride I felt in just being Southern- a stretch I know...

For the last few weeks I have been very interested in this concept of "Southern." I have read blogs, purchased magazines, searched the internet... all for things that are Southern because I love the establishment, the class, the tradition. Many people have their own assumptions of being Southern... there's the redneck Southerner, the "old money" Southerner, the pretentious Southerner, the "I'm from the country" Southerner (that would be me!), and so on...

But Southern or not, the class and pride that fans showed at the Braves game last night, win or lose, showed an immense amount of respect for the players, the coaches, and other fans everywhere. No one booed even the worst player, and more than anything they paid tribute to a man who has dedicated his life to that team and the establishment of its traditions. And although I'm not a Braves fan, I must say for the sake of being hospitable... Bobby Cox, you will be missed.


After all, I went to Alabama and they taught me class and respect... and they teach me to read good there.

No comments:

Post a Comment